Monday 19 October 2009

Day of Death and other Exploits...


Ooh iya!
So ever since my first foray into Pere Lachaise in Paris when I was 15...I have liked visiting cemeterys allllll over the world...and I always try to whip in to a one when I'm in a different country...

My most memorable cemetery/death orientated fiascos involve....
  • Getting lost in Greenwood Cemetery, Brooklyn...NEAR CLOSING TIME!
  • Standing in line to see Chairman Mao's corpse in Beijing whilst thinking I'd just been robbed of all my worldly possessions by a guy dressed up in a fake police uniform!
  • Getting caught up in a funeral procession in Delhi where they carried the body through the street....I was simply trying to haggle for trinkets at a side stall when we became embroilled.
  • THE WORST...St John in the Wilderness Church in Dharamsala....we waded in through a hole in a gate....were having a nice look around when 2 BIG/HUGE/MASSIVE/GINGER baboon/monkey creatures appeared...we pegged it pronto....this was the best picture I could get of the incident for fear of getting ripped apart.....

So anyway...back to Whirlers....Hayley was here to visit so we first went to see the Catacombs underneath Stephansdom Cathedral...I will NOT be going back....
I'd first terrified myself by reading some reviews online which stated they were pretty hardcore and you were literally stepping on bones with your shoes....
therefore....when we went on the underground tour, I was constantly waiting for it to get worse. I mean it was super dark and scary...and I have had n
ightmares since of skeletons and the likes...but these other people exaggerated!
A worthwhile trip for only 4.50 Euros....but be warned...DARKENED
UNDERGROUND PASSAGEWAYS AND BONES GALORE...
Sorry...folks....no photos....STRICTLY FORBIDDEN for obvious reasons of respecting the dead and all that jazz....although if you google it there have been some renegade snappers out there!

Our next port of call was to Zentrafriedhof in Simmering which is one of Europe's largest cemeteries....divided into 4 sections....It was pretty impressive and soooo huge....you could easily get lost, especially in the Sleepy Hollow style section. Lots of famous composers are buried there...Beethoven, Mozart (well he's not really there...only his headstone is) Strauss... It was FREEZING. (it then snowed the next day...)
Anyway back to nicer topics other than Six Feet Under (which is my all time favourite TV series as Peter Krause is SOOOO HOTTT..and it's amazing....
So....it was also party times AKIMBO....and we threw a 9
0's themed bash followed by "Pling Plong" club at Fluc...which was awesome...
Some choice photos for your perusal....


In other news.....
Finally upon recommendation we hit "CAFE CORNY"....it was like an Austrian Social club....we got to play games involving hammers and nails taught to us by nice local boys wearing corduroy and suede...we got cake too as we totally gatecrashed someone's Birthday Party...



Over and out....
Love and Schnitzel,
Emma
xxxx

No comments: